My friend, Sam Kariya, is part of an organization called Koins for Kenya. It is an organization that helps provide education supplies for schools in Africa. They build schools, put in sewage drains, build playgrounds, and gather school supplies. It is unbelievable the types of things that these schools do NOT have! Sam's family has been involved with this for a long time and have made several trips to Africa to help out. Anyway, they are going out on a new excursion on the 22nd of July and need our help. I have posted this blog (copied from Sam's blog) of a simple way we can help. They need pencils. I'll let you read the post, but if you would like to help, you can drop off some pencils at my parents house in Aurora, or mail them there (PO Box 111, Aurora, UT 84620) I'll make sure that Sam gets these before she leaves for Africa. There are lots of other ways to help to. So, if you would like to know more about it, visit her blog: http://sammygoestoafrica.blogspot.com/ Thanks everyone!!!
Keeping it Simple

The more I go to Africa, the more I realize you gotta keep it simple.
This year my mom and I want to take enough pencils for every student...(we're talking thousands. Simple just got complicated.)
So here's the deal, we need your help!
We are looking for brand new pencils, the fancier the better! (except mechanical)
I think all-a-dollar has them in large quantities for cheap.
And I bet if you look around your house you might find some!
Let me know, I'll pick them up from you.
We are also going to provide pencil sharpeners for each school, which run from $20-$50 a piece. If you'd like to donate specifically to this project, let me know.
Background info: children in Africa learn without the benefit of pencil or paper. If they are lucky enough to ever get a pencil, it is sharpened with a knife.
Last year, as my mom was sitting in her classroom,
having just done an Africa presentation for her students, one of those students walked back into her room.
He held in his hand a pencil box overflowing with pencils.
Sparkly pencils, smiley face pencils, birthday pencils, you name it, he had it!
He held the box out, and told my mom he wanted her to take it to Africa. Of course she was excited, but curious as to where he had come up with all of them, she asked. To which he replied,
"I have been collecting these since kindergarten. And I want you to have them."
Being the emotional person that she is, my mom started to cry and told him she couldn't take his collection. But he insisted.
So, off she went to Kenya with a box full of beautiful pencils. After arriving in Kenya, she took the pencils and walked to one of the schools Koins has built--
a very primitive two-room building.
Upon arriving, she asked the headmaster if there was anything they needed. Mind you, they have no water, no school lunch, no books, no desks. So, much to her surprise, the first word out of his mouth was "pencils."
Because of that generous boy, she was able to hand him the treasured box of beautiful pencils.

Once again, don't ever underestimate your ability to make a difference.



How neat!! I would LOVE to help out. When do we need to have the pencils mailed??
ReplyDeleteI love Africa so much! It's amazing how the simplest things really do leave such an impact. Thanks for sharing this blog!!
JaRelle! I want to help out REALLY bad!!!! We are moving into our new school and they are probably getting rid of alot of the "older" pencils we have in the supply rooms! But, there might be other things too! I'm going to check! What else does she need? Call me or text me and I'm going to talk to our Principal!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea! If I remember (and that's seriously an issue these days), I'll totally get some pencils and mail them.
ReplyDeleteHoly Cow!! Who would have thought that pencils would make me cry?! That is such an amazing story... I'll ask some of my hygiene friends and instructors if they can help..
ReplyDelete